The Law Offices of David B. Gardner, Inc. provides comprehensive representation in all aspects of United States Immigration and Nationality law.
  • New Entrepreneur Visa bill
    A new version of the Entrepreneur Visa bill provides hope for overseas investors seeking to invest or start up businesses in the United States...
  • Do you want to receive information regularly? Join our mailing list:
Join Our Mailing List

H-3 and J-1 Visas / Trainees


H-3 and J-1 Visas for Trainees

H-3 Visas are for temporary workers invited by an individual or organization for purposes of receiving instruction and training other than to receive graduate medical education or training. The training program must be one "that is not designed primarily to provide productive employment." An H-3 visa may be issued for periods up to three years.

J-1 Visas are for exchange visitors who are bona fide trainees and have no intention of abandoning their foreign residence. Participation in an exchange program may be for purposes such as teaching, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, and receiving training. The applicant must have sufficient funds and fluency in English. The J-1 trainee visa is available for interns who are still in College as well as recent graduates for periods up to 12 months. The J-1 practical training visa program is generally available for periods up to 18 months.

J-1 Waivers

Certain J visa holders are subject to a requirement that they must return to their home country or country of last residence for two years upon completion of their training in the U.S. Waivers to this 2-year residency requirement may be granted.

Powered by Adrecom CMS suite